Monday, August 22, 2011

Stan Lee Attacked by Spider!

So I thought this would be easier than trying to post this on Facebook.  Stan started acutely vomiting early Friday morning and kept me up all night vomiting.  For those of you that are not close to Stan you don't know that this is not an unusual occurrence with him.  He eats weird things and has vomited up huge wads of stuff that usually contain hair, grass, pieces of stuff he has chewed etc. So I wasn't super worried about him as I was heading to work as soon as I got up anyway.  We went to work and started him on IV fluids and some anti vomiting medication and started a barium series.  This is a  radiographic study where you make them drink this stuff that you can see on x-rays and follow through the GI tract.  If he has eaten something it will stick to it and we can see it on the xrays.  Shortly after starting this he started having jet propelled diarrhea and was looking more and more depressed.  To make a long story short the doctors suspect that he had an anaphylactic reaction to a possible spider bite.  He sloughed his entire GI tract  and has been at the hospital on tons of meds to stop his allergic reaction and to keep him from dying while his body healed.  
He is doing better this morning and I might be able to get him later this evening so he can enjoy vacation at home.  He scared the crap out of me and taught me not to assume that he has eaten something ever again.

1 comment: