Friday, August 12, 2011

School.....To Continue or Not To Continue

As the last two semesters of my AAS degree are beginning soon, I am starting to look forward to the future.  A future that seems blissfully easy after the hell I have put myself through for the last four years.  Constant work, school, studying and very very little sleep.  Not to mention no time to be social or spend time with my family.  I have taken being a hermit to an entirely new level.  I am also starting to think that my house may not come clean at all when it comes time to clean it.  The dirt may be permanent.  By this time next year I will be job hunting for a radiography position at a hospital. In the time that follows, I will be able to spend time on the weekends with family.  I will be able to take vacations to California to see my friends and family there. I will be able to drink myself into oblivion with my friends and not feel guilty or have to sit in class with a colossal hangover the next day.  I will be able to sit on the couch and read an entire book if I choose to do so.  I can spend entire days at the dog park with my pooches.  With these visions looming in my head, I am plagued by senioritis daily.  So the thought right now of continuing on to my bachelors degree makes my skin crawl.  However being the gigantic nerd that I am I can't help thinking about receiving more education.  I have been skimming over jobs on the internet and many of them are looking for "multi-modal" technicians.  This means that they want someone who is able to run at least an xray machine and a CT and possibly a MRI.  So it seems silly to me not to at least get myself certified in CT.  Midwestern State University here in Texas has a program for persons that already have an AAS in radiography.  There are not many more classes I would have to take to complete the bachelors.  All of the classes are online and you do not have to travel to the school at all.  Many hospitals have tuition reimbursement programs for their employees so I might be able to go to school for free.  I may have to be employed there for a year before I am eligible but a year off from school doesn't seem all that bad. I am plagued constantly by all of these options and so I thought I would write them down in my blog and see what everyone else thought about it.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's fantastic! I agree, it doesn't make sense to quit now, you've put so much work and sacrifice in, it would be a shame to be stuck in a job that limits you. You seem to be the type of person who wants (and needs) to be the best at what you do. If just a "little" more work would increase your chance of the perfect position...you should go for it! Quitting now would just limit and frustrate you! The house will always be there to clean! Now is your chance to pursue your dreams and build a foundation for yourself that will take you to the goals you want to achieve (and beyond!!). You will look back on these days and realize that it was worth it, and I bet you'll be glad you did!! I'm so proud of you! And happy I get to be in touch enough to see what an amazing, hard worker you are! On the other hand...I hope to see you soon! I miss partying with you ;)

    ReplyDelete