Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Cool, Secret, Favorite things

Why is it that people keep finding out about my cool, secret favorite things!!! I have been drinking coffee for 14 years now and have lovingly turned it into an art form. I love everything about the coffee. I love the way it smells when you first open the can. I love the way it looks in its bean form before you grind it up. I love the way it smells when it is brewing. I love the way it makes me feel after I drink it and of course I really love the way it tastes. I drink my coffee many different ways and depending on what time of day it is depends on how I drink the coffee. Sometimes I like it hot, strong and black, sometimes I drink it with regular cream and some splenda, sometimes I want my coffee really rich and so I add heavy whipping cream and splenda (this is like a milk shake) other times I like those flavored creamers, that are not really milk, and sometimes I like it iced. This brings me to the point of this blog.

I moved to Texas in June of 2002 from Long Beach California and I was pretty sure of two things after I did that. One. People in Texas were suffering form some sort of brain damage that caused them to think that the climate here was suitable for human existence and Two. That I was going to die in the heat before the summer was over. My point being, the thought of hot coffee on a day when it is 100 degrees and 80% humidity made me cringe. I became an iced coffee addict. I drink my coffee cold from May until October to try and beat the heat out here. One of my favorite places to obtain the iced coffee is at the local 7-11. I go in, fill up one of those Styrofoam cups (I also have a Styrofoam cup, lid and straw fetish, a subject for another blog perhaps) with ice and then pour the hot coffee over the top of it. This is the most delicious thing ever when it is hot outside. Well no one was the wiser at the 7-11 they thought I had a soda and therefore charged me .89 cents. One of the women there caught me one time and made a huge deal about it and tried to make me pay for 32 ounces of coffee and so I just bought a cup of ice and a medium coffee and put them together my self which was still cheaper than 32 ounces of coffee. That was the only time someone gave me a hard time about it and to this day I still do that at the 7-11 in the summer.

I am hoping beyond all hope that this little wonderful ritual of lovely coldness doesn’t have to end for me. It seems that iced coffee is some new special thing and everyone has it for sale. It ranges from 2 dollars at the 7-11 all the way to 5 dollars at the starbucks.

Ready for a, mildly off the topic, rant?

I am appalled that starbucks charges two bucks for one cup of coffee (that is just coffee, not all of the whipped frap shit they pass off as coffee that will run you close to 6 dollars depending how much frap you want) and I am even more appalled at the people that actually pay 2-6 dollars for a cup of coffee. Most would say “hey, live and let live” and I would usually do the same, if someone wants to pay 2 dollars for a stinking cup of coffee, burnt coffee I might add, then more power to them.(I will however, admit to a liking for the gear they have at the starbucks and have been known on occasion to shop the clearance table for cups and stuff) I am angry because all of the other places you used to get coffee at a reasonable price are charging a ridiculous amount for their coffee as well. I guess they figure if starbucks can charge 2 bucks for a simple cup of coffee then surely they can charge $1.59 and the unsuspecting public will think they are getting a deal.

But I digress.

My point is that they now have McIced coffee at the McDonalds and some weird magical machine that spits out some concoction at most gas station shops that they are calling iced coffee! You too can have this magical coffee concoction for close to 2 bucks. The crazier thing is people are paying for it!!! It is ice and coffee...How does that equal 2 dollars? And why is everyone so quick to jump on the bandwagon? And why does everyone always find out about my cool secret favorite things!!!



This is a photo I took of some brand new beautiful shiny coffee beans that had just been opened. Can you smell them? I can.

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge lover of coffee too. I LOVE 7-11 coffee it is the best so under rated. I usually love the smell of coffee too but it never fails everytime I smell that burnt coffee aroma in the air I am certain to see a Starbucks. My hair dresser and her husband own a coffee Bean farm in Mexico and they roast them alot out of their own back yard and it is so awesome. I willhave to send you a bag.
    Great blog what a fun topic!!

    ReplyDelete