Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Dog Pack Series: Suki


Suki goofing off at the animal hospital with her Daschund pal Mufasa.


Suki, Suki, Suki. What do I say about Suki? Well I should start at the beginning. I met Suki while I was working at Long Beach Animal Hospital in Long Beach California and like everyone else who met her I fell in love with her instantly. Her former owner, Mrs. Catlover (name changed to protect identity) brought her in constantly with skin infections, ear infections and bladder infections due to her bad allergies (most pugs come with this at no extra charge) in addition to her regular puppy visits for shots and spaying. So Suki was there a lot and she happened to be the only pug I liked, as well as the most adorable dog I had ever seen. I always made sure I went up to say hello to her when she came in.

Suki looking adorable as usual, sunbathing on a beautiful Spring day at home.

One day when she was a little over a year old, she came in to see Dr. R because she was limping on her right rear leg. I had already seen her up front, said hello and could not believe she had become so fat (23 pounds)! Shortly after saying hello to Suki she was put in an exam room and the next thing I know Dr. R is handing me a chart and telling me to go get the dog in room three because we are going to euthanize it. I looked down at the chart and it was Suki! I asked him why and he said that Suki had a luxating patella (another one of those “free at no extra charge” pug things) and Mrs. Catlover was tired of spending money on Suki and didn't want her to suffer one minute longer. She refused to let us call a pug rescue because she didn’t believe that they would have her leg fixed and wouldn’t even give her a chance at a shelter…because she was “suffering”. So I asked her if I could have Suki and after promising to have her leg fixed ASAP she gave her up.

I originally planned to find Suki a home after having her leg fixed but Lily fell in love with her right away. In fact the “suffering” Suki was running in and out of my front door up and down 3 steps chasing Lily her first day there. I managed to get her allergies under control; her knee fixed and got her down to a fighting weight of 15 pounds.

Suki and Lily sharing nap time together.

Since then she has been Lily’s constant companion…They share their bed at night, stay in the same kennel when I am gone and are always together. Suki is also quite sure she is a Pit Bull and not a pug. She runs the pack when I am not in charge and sometimes gets them in trouble. She doesn’t mind not being able to have her own little dog, pug things like, cute little stuffed animals or bones that are her size. She has always enjoyed chewing on all of the large and completely indestructible toys you must have when you have a house full of Pit Bulls.

When I had my VW she rode on the back dash every time! I got a lot of honks!

She is quite a clown as anyone who has met her will tell you. She is her own dog and doesn’t really care at all what I think about stuff (good thing she is only 15 pounds). Suki's first love is food…she will do almost anything for food. We must pause here to ponder what Suki thinks is food…most of us would not consider these things as food items but they are among Suki's favorites; cat food, cat vomit, cat poop, dog poop, dog vomit, and of course dog food are her favs. One year at Thanksgiving I took her with me to my sisters and she was caught on the buffet eating the deviled eggs right off of the plate!!! Understandably she is not my sisters favorite. In spite of her naughtiness she is loved by all who meet her.
Have you ever seen anything cuter?

She is really cuddly and cute and I think no less than 50 people have told me they would take her off of my hands if she needed a home. I politely tell them that Suki is Lily's dog and not mine so they have to ask her and not me.

Suki is getting older and it is sad to see her cute little perfect black mask turning grey but she has not slowed down one bit! She is one of the healthiest dogs I own and besides her allergies she has no health problems. As she gets older she snores more and keeps me awake sometimes and I have to fight a little harder to keep weight off of her but other than that Suki is a joyful little clown. She makes me laugh everyday and I love her for that. Here are some extra photos of her that are my favorites. She is quite the ham and loves to have her photo taken!

Hanging out with Wig the desert tortoise in the backyard at home.

Lounging on the chair with Lily on a lazy day.

Looking like a movie star pug.


One of a million funny faces she makes, notice the poo on top of her head...a dining accident I am sure.

1 comment:

  1. SUUUUUUKKKKKIIIIIAAAAKKKKKIIII!!! LOL! I remember that day when your old mom brough you in and Cassandra asked to keep you. You were a little tank! But always so sweet. Even when you had to lose weight, try as you might to find anything you could to eat! Cassandra took such great care of you and got you all better. Then you had to leave me, in a u-haul to Texas. I miss you very much too! Hopefully someday I'll get to see you and Lily again. Until then love and kisses and low fat treats!! Love Lisa W.

    ReplyDelete