Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Outside Observations after the rain.

I wanted to take a minute from my hectic life and write about the beauty of nature that some of us take for granted and some just don't notice.
I was sitting outside today with my dogs, taking a break from writing this really involved annoying paper for comp101, and took some time to really look and I mean really look. In both my art class and English classes I am currently taking we are learning about observation and really looking at things. I thought I was good at this before but now that I am practicing observation, it is amazing the things you see. Anyway I digress, but you should really try it.
I quickly became enthralled with how beautiful it was outside. It rained this morning for the first time in a long time. So the air smelled of wet earth (one of my favs) and moist air filled my lungs. I could feel the humidity attaching itself to my skin, it is a wonderful natural moisturizer.
I noticed that the bark on the trees was dark and wet and the leaves were so green against the dark wood and shiny because the rain had cleaned them off. The animals were out in droves busily finding food. Birds found bugs that the rain had stirred up. The squirrels as well as my canines were racing around the yard playing and enjoying the cooler weather. It somehow seems quieter after it has rained and occasionally I feel like the only person on earth, although not today.
The light here after it rains is magical. It is as if you are wearing glasses with a golden tint to them. This is truly magnificent and people who have never been to Texas or the ones who live here and don't notice it are really deprived of its stunning beauty.
Now you might be reading this and thinking that the next paragraph is going to be about thanking god ( and possibly getting uncomfortable depending on your take on god) for all of this beauty but I don't believe in organized religion, so I don't refer to the higher power as god. But I believe in it mainly because I look around me everyday and witness the diversity of life on this planet and the beauty that comes with that diversity and I just don't see how all of these incredible things just happened by accident.
So, there you have it, my "observations for the day" blog I hope you enjoyed reading it and moreover I hope the next time you are confronted with this kind of beauty you will take the time to notice it, breathe it in, feel it on your body and in your mind and most of all, be thankful for it.



This is a picture of the sky at sunset taken from the back porch of the hospital where I work after a storm had passed. The Texas sky after a storm at sunset is one of the best nature shows there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment